Write reflectively about your video compositions. What was it like for you to create the first video remix composition? What was the process of making the second composition like for you? What is your own take on the importance (or not) of remix to new-media composition? If not remix, what would you think might qualify as a "signature genre" of the new-media era? What was this week in general like for you? Did you enjoy the work/play? Do you feel ready to frame and launch your own new-media projects starting next week?
Also write prospectively about the kinds of projects we've touched on in the first three weeks of the course that you might like to expand on in weeks four and five.
Write about prospective projects in three different categories: 1) projects related to learning how to do something with new-media that you think may have practical value to you in your profession, 2) projects that reflect topics or themes, related to new-media composition or composition in general or its variants in art areas, that you are simply curious about or interested in and would like to know more about, and 3) projects that involve creating new-media genres via combining/recombining/re-arranging new-media principles, and then composing artistic pieces in the genres you create.
Embed both of your video compositions in your blog post, and refer to them in your text.
Making the video compositions was an interesting experience. First of all, It was a lot easier technically than I expected. I originally imagined myself as mostly, if not completely technology inept, but with the easy-to-use (read: idiot-proof) macbook technology and some trial and error, I actually managed to figure stuff out out and make something I was at least mostly proud of. While I don't know if I can really call them remixes, in good conscience, it's at least a tribute to remixing. Remixes are undoubtedly an extremely important part of new media, and the most modern artistic expression. In the first video, I wanted to address the idea of fantasy and imagination, so I interspersed scenes of "reefer madness" (government-propogated fantasy), with an early version of Alice in Wonderland. My second video was what I imagined as snippets of my life and mind, or even the ways I was attracted to my environment.
I thought this week was a lot of fun. I'm a big fan of the longer projects, which allow me a couple of days to plan and contemplate them. They also give me more time to expand on ideas, or think better of them and come up with something else. I'd love to do more of those.I also love working in useful computer training. I'd be interested to do more remix-themed projects, working with both audio and moving image media. Some ideas for the future are taking video and audio mashups a step further. I would be interested in taking real songs and remixing them, as well as practicing video remixes. This could include creating videos addressing other themes besides a self portrait, such as ideas or topics that interest us. Other ideas include an interview with another person about their compositional/inspirational process and edit it into a video, as well as creating mashups mixing different medias. For example, to choose a poem, music, and videos and combine them into a composition. Finally, I'd like to create something that can be used as a working professional, such as a website.
Both my videos are embedded below. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them.
No comments:
Post a Comment