Friday, June 1, 2012

a flaw in the plan.

     I ran into some technical difficulties today. Because my apartment in Winston-Salem doesn't have internet, I generally take my computer to Camino coffee. This becomes problematic recording due to the people talking, coffee grinder, and various other loud noises. Furthermore, since I assumed we would use today to listen and reflect on yesterday's recordings, I wasn't able to record ahead of time like we did with the previous assignment, and because I rode my bike over, I can't go back to record and come back (without dying of exhaustion). In a way, however, I did still have to do some composition. I needed to find a way to do the assignment, or rather, some sort of compromise that my surroundings allowed. I ended up composing the messages, which you can find below if you are so inclined. Also included below is a convenient link to the AT&T voice generator, which if one is motivated to, all one needs to do is copy and paste the text into the generator. Sorry for the extra effort, if you feel you'd get the idea by just reading the messages, I definitely won't hold it against you. The actual audacity recording will be available monday in a secondary blog post. 

1) "........hello? is someone there? hi sweetie it's your grandma, I called because I just don't understand this new-fangled phone and was wondering if you knew how to leave messages, I keep waiting for the beep but I never heard it. I was also wondering if you'd seen grandpa, and if you did, if he knows where I put my hearing aid. love you sweetie, I guess you're not there so I'll call you back later...."
 *beep*
2)" omg did u see what meghan was wearing today she looks like she harpooned a bear and wiggled into its hide also i have news guess who likes youuuuu call me backkkkkkkkkkk"
 *beep*
3) hi honey it's mom, I was just wondering if you should stop and pick some things up on your way home call me back. you need some underwear from the mall, the extra elastic kind because I swear you stretch them out every time. and some groceries, but nothing with white flour because I know it makes you constipated. thanks honey, bye
 *beep*
4) hi it's mom again, I hope my message didn't  embarrass you in front of your friends, or your date. you do have dates right? and friends, do you have friends?  I was watching the view and they said that this can be a time of difficult transition in your life, so its ok if you don't have dates or friends, you don't need to be embarrassed about it if you don't. feel free to call me back if you'd like to talk. ok bye!
 *beep*

No comments:

Post a Comment