Monday, June 11, 2012

framing/talking

Framing:
     For this project I explored a few options. I considered interviews with other artists, creating websites, making longer and more complex video mashups, etc. One thing I really wanted to play with was the idea of self discovery. For me, especially in the online class format, I'm really working with the concept of independence. The ability to figure things out on my own. I eventually decided that I most wanted to do something in the spirit of the class combining the academic and artistic, work and play. I wanted something that I could use professionally, not just academically, so I decided to create a website marketing my professional and musical skills. 
Talking:
     One of the most helpful things about today's work was the facebook discussion going on. It really allowed me to tune into what other people were saying/thought about the projects, become inspired by their ideas, and really solidify my own thoughts and ideas. Even though I didn't have any comments, being able to see what other people in the class were thinking and planning was really inspiring. 
Gathering:
     I began by gathering working professionals I know, and checking our their websites. One person I found was Brooks Whitehouse, professor of cello at UNCSA. His website, http://www.brookswhitehouse.com/, is a very good example. I found it artistic, professional, and easy to follow. Another person I discovered was Dmitri Shteinberg, http://dmitrishteinberg.com/schedule.php. Finally, I contacted my old violin teacher Matthew Chicurel by email to ask for tips on building a successful website. http://web.me.com/matthewchicurel/Matthew_Chicurel/About_Me.html
However, I'm still waiting to hear back from him. 
     Next, I googled some sites about creating a successful website, which I included in the links below. 
http://www.startupnation.com/steps/66/create-successful-website.htm
http://cordis.europa.eu/ictresults/pdf/MarketingTool.pdf

Finally, I searched for some free website building sites, included below. 
http://www.wix.com/
http://www.ucoz.com/
http://www.moonfruit.com/
https://sites.google.com/

Creating:
     I began today thinking I would just get started on my website. I ended up choosing wix.com as my host site because I had heard good things and I thought that a less known site (than google) might be a good thing. Basically how wix works is you choose the kind of site you plan to make, e.g. accounting firm, law firm, catering company, etc. and they present you with a bunch of templates to choose from. I of course selected "musician" but none of them looked professional or very original to me. After scrolling through literally pages and pages of templates (I eventually had to branch out into other occupations) I finally found one for models (insert joke about my vanity here). The thing about wix is that it's very straightforward and user friendly. It's easy to sit there and work and work and work and figure you may as well get another page done. Thus, 3 hours later, I had a headache, backache, and a nearly finished site. I left some tweaking and editing for tomorrow, and I may need to take some better pictures for it, but I seem to be in good shape on this assignment. And the website? while I wouldn't use it for all of my professional life, I think while I'm in school it's a pretty darn adequate site. I'm pretty happy with it, and I probably will use it for a few years at least. 
Creating, Part II
Today was an interesting day. Apart from a few tweaks and changes, My website was finished. However because of the nature of the project, it's never really finished. I will likely always be working on it as I update my bio, photos, etc. to reflect the changes and advances in my life. I would love to put in more photos, and I could take some this morning on my crappy digital camera, but I'd like to wait and include some professional headshots later down the road. I'd also like to have a good recording on the site, but that stuff can't be rushed and I really have all the time in the world to work on it. Interestingly, my project ended up exactly following my interview about my compositional process. I'm really never done with it. I will keep updating and improving, and eventually, create one that is even better. But the nice thing is that it's not a frustrating process, I even look forward to it. 
Reflecting


http://www.wix.com/mhirschf/miehirschfieldviolin


included here is the final product. I'm not sure how I feel about the pink (it is very pink) so I may change that if I feel inclined later on. In reflection, I feel very satisfied with it. I achieved everything I set out to do. I picked a useful and applicable project, learned several new skills, figured out several new tools on my own without getting frustrated, and produced something I'm proud of and can use practically. And actually, I had a lot of fun doing it. However, I'm looking forward to working on something more creative and less useful for the next project. I feel as though this was fun in the way educational documentaries are fun. And sometimes, you just want to watch cartoons. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment