Wednesday, May 23, 2012
text-writing
I think one of the hardest things about text-writing in blogs, tumblr, twitter, facebook, etc. is the challenge of confronting the question "who gives a f*ck?" It's certainly something to be so confident in your opinion that you don't care who reads it. It's probably the same bravado that's inspired the religious fanatics and streakers of years past. Clive Thompson was right when he said that today's students always write for an audience. Indeed, it's a pretty scary thought that literally anyone in the world could be reading the myspace survey I filled out in middle school detailing the color of my underwear, my first pet's name, and the age of my first kiss. I suppose blogging is sort of a release valve for our daily stress. Journaling 2.0. Yet our culture has completely normalized sharing our personal thoughts with literally everyone in the world. We live in an era of oversharing. Any personal details of our lives are up for grabs online. Everything is fair game. And if someone wants to read it, well, I feel bad for them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment